Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tube Changes and a Mic-Key

A couple of weeks ago I had the dreaded experience of waking up to a leaking tube, and not just an open port cap. The J portion of my tube had a hole that no amount of tape was able to seal, so I decided it’d be best to call my surgeon. Turns out he was on vacation, but Interventional Radiology (I.R.) was great and fit me in with a different surgeon that afternoon. Since this was not a planned procedure and I had eaten that morning, it was not safe for me to be fully sedated which made me very nervous. Throw in a sudden allergic reaction to Zofran (my daily anti-nausea medication which I can no longer use safely), and I was just a ball of tears and stress. Thankfully, my mother was able to calm me down and by the time they took me back I was feeling a bit more confident.

Although I couldn't be fully sedated, I was told I would receive light sedation using Fentanyl and assumed I wouldn’t remember a thing. Boy was I wrong! The nurse gave me the Fentanyl as promised and I was suddenly dizzy, nauseated, and feeling generally unwell, but patiently waited to drift off to sleep. Instead, with many prayers for strength and calmness, I endured shots of Lidocaine into my tube site to combat the pain, and the forceful pulling and pushing as the surgeon removed my faulty tube and replaced it with a new one. Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed but overall it was not nearly as bad as I had imagined. The Lidocaine made the procedure almost painless, prayer kept me calm when I wanted nothing more than to hop off that table and go running for the hills, and the trendy music playing lightly over the speakers was just the distraction I needed.

When the procedure was over I was a little upset to have gone through all of that for the same PEG/PEJ tube when what I really wanted was a Mic-Key (low profile, more discreet tube), but my size was on back order so that wasn’t an option. I headed home hoping to get some rest but was very distressed when I realized the G port on my tube was leaking because of a faulty cap….REALLY?!? Yeah, I was not a happy camper. The next business day I called I.R. and we decided to try fitting me with a new cap to hold off until the Mic-Key tube arrived. They ended up receiving it that day and the next morning I was back at the hospital. Since the Fentanyl hadn’t helped at all and I was hoping to get out of the hospital as soon as possible, I decided to pass on all sedation and choose only to use Lidocaine shots for the pain during my second tube change. The procedure went smoothly and I am the proud new owner of a G/J Mic-key Button that I love!

Although that was a rather stressful and busy few days, my amazing family was by my side every step of the way and I thank God every day for blessing me with such a great support system. They’ve seen my good, my bad, and my absolutely crazy side and love me anyway. No matter how often this battle knocks me down, I know I can always get back up to fight another day with a hand like theirs waiting to pick me up.

Local reaction to IV Zofran.
Happened very suddenly so I was happy
to be in the hospital at the time and I received
prompt care.

Old PEG/PEJ Tube with one
of my favorite Tube Pads=)
Brand new G/J Mic-Key Tube
Just in time for Spring and Summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment