Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Back to Normalcy!

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only option." -Unknown.

     Now, I know most people who come across this blog are asking themselves gastroWHAT?? You read right, GASTROPARESIS. Simply put, Gastroparesis is a paralysis of the muscles of the stomach. It can cause some pretty frustrating and debilitating symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, bloating, constipation, abdominal pain, weight loss, and even malnutrition. It's mostly compared to having a stomach virus 24/7, and I would definitely second that description.
     Because there is no cure and the few treatment options that are available are generally ineffective, my initial reaction to this diagnosis was to sit around the house, nauseas and depressed. I eventually decided the best way to deal with the nausea was to stop eating and began losing weight rapidly. My health spiraled downward for quite some time, and I kept waiting for any doctor to find a way to fix me and give me my life back. I finally realized that although having Gastroparesis sucks, there was so many worse things that could have happened!
     Yes, I have Gastroparesis, but it's not nearly as bad as it could be. My stomach is slow, but it still works. Sure eating makes me nauseas, but so does not eating. If I'm going to be sick anyway, might as well enjoy some food! Although my diet is still very limited, it is definitely a work in progress and I'm confident that with trial and error I will find a balance that works for me. I've decided that not only do I need to focus on my eating and nutrition, I need to focus on my whole self and that is where this blog comes in.
     Me and My GP is like a life raft that serves two purposes. One, to help me document my journey back to normalcy. Although I have Gastroparesis, I'm still the same person that I was before and REFUSE to let this condition dictate what I will do with my life. So to get back to enjoying all the hobbies that I use to love, I will be writing lots of post about things such as arts and crafts projects, natural/DIY beauty remedies, drawing, cooking, and something new that I plan to try this spring and summer, gardening. Basically whatever I can do to stay occupied and keep my mind off of my physical symptoms will pop up here.
     My second reason for this blog is to hopefully help others who are struggling with GP and the effects that it can have in daily living. Eventually I'll get around to posting my whole story, but for now I want to focus on the present and how I'm learning to conquer this condition and be happy. (Now, I'm not a doctor so any advice that I give is based solely off of my own experiences and anyone wanting to try them should definitely check with their doctor first.) My goal is to show people that not only can you live with a chronic illness, you can actually have a life! 

12 comments:

  1. Awesome idea to post your journey. Very encouraging. It will be hard but who says life is supposed to be easy. Take one day at a time. I support you.
    Kim Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, some days it is hard but knowing that I have so much support makes a huge difference because It's easier to push through the tough times when I feel like I'm fighting for someone other than myself so thank you it means a lot=)

      Delete
  2. Your positive attitude is so encouraging!! Let me know how your new gardening hobby goes. Veryrelaxing...love ya, angela c.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm pretty excited about it! Just a little worried about the bugs though we don't get a long to well lol if you have any tips please feel free to share.

      Delete
  3. Hey girl. I'm so proud of your attitude. You go girl the saying is when life gives you lemons make lemonade you are making the best lemonade lol . you hang in there I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I appreciate all the help you have given me and my family. When things were rough your support and prayers really did help=)

      Delete
  4. Hey Simone!

    I loved reading your blogs! I think it's a great idea to find things to keep your mind focused on! I really do admire your strength and courage through this ordeal! Keep your head up! Don't be discouraged!

    Love
    Nephateria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neph! I'm Glad You Enjoyed It And Seeing How Many People Support Me Makes It So Much Easier And Keeps Me Motivated=)

      Delete
  5. Wow! Simone this is a wonderful Idea to share your story with others. It doesn't surprise me at all you, have always put the interest of others ahead of your own. Keep up the fine example and I will keep on reading whatever you choose to write about. You are truly a sunshine.
    love you

    Yvonne Piggee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you That's Such A Great Compliment And Reminder To Me Because It's So Easy To Get Wrapped Up In How I Feel And Lose Sight Of Who I Use To Be. Its Encouragement Like This That Helps Keep Me Going!

      Delete